My Fan Club

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

It's true...I'm a complete failure

I've been trying to read one book a  month.  TRYING.  For all of you read-aholics out there, don't laugh.  It is really hard for me.  I figured, IF I could keep this goal, I would read 12 books in one year, which for me would be quite an accomplishment.

Last month, I read Gods Behaving Badly and LOVED it. Cute, funny, easy read. This month, I made the mistake of trying to tackle WICKED.

This book is full of richly complicated details, amazing scenery, and has an in-depth storyline.  All of these things sound great, but they apparently don't work for me. 
It was so slow!  It was so detailed that sometimes I couldn't understand.  It was too much for me to get through.  After renewing at the library twice, keeping it for 6 long weeks, I GAVE up on it today.
I made it through almost 250 pages and had about 200 more to go and just couldn't bring myself to do it.
Confession time...have you ever given up on a book and why?  Come on, there must have been at least one book in your life you couldn't get through.  Leave me a comment, so I know to avoid it in the future.
April's book:  Where Are You Now?  by Mary Higgins Clark.  Why?  Because I need something that takes place in this century and has no talking animals.

3 random thoughts:

Shannon said...

Wen, you crack me up! You are right about Wicked, though...very complex plot and characters. I tend to skim when it gets slow, so I did manage to finish it. I can say with complete honesty that there are only two books I have tried to read and could not finish. One was Stephen King's "Gerald's Game." It was so disturbing, I did not even get through the first chapter. I won't explain why, either you know or you can find out. I. just. cannot. go. there! The other one, and this really surprised me, was "The Shack." I had heard so much about how wonderful this book is that I picked it up and started reading. I could not finish it. Not sure why, it just makes me very uncomfortable. Maybe it is my own preconceived notions about God that clash with the author's vision in this book, but it just was not for me.

About my cards, I charge about
$4 for 5.5"x4.25" ones, $5 for 6"x6" ones and $6 for anything larger.
Blessings!

Jenners said...

Well, I'm glad you liked "Gods Behaving Badly." It is a shame that Wicked didn't work for you. I haven't read it ... and I don't think I'll be rushing to do so any time soon after your comments. And I finally gave myself permission to quit on books that weren't working for me ... I always felt like I had to keep going but why?????

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Oh man, Wicked took me forever too. And I think I just skimmed at least the last half... I love the musical though!

I love to read and used to constantly... but now I'd be lucky to do one a month too. I might adopt your resolution myself...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile