My Fan Club

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Writer's Workshop: 10 things that make me smile

Last week as part of Mama Kat's writer's workshop I listed the 10 things I'm currently sick of; so today I'm making sure my glass is half full, instead of half empty and listing 10 things that make me smile.
  1. Roses on my rose bushes.
  2. Watching my kids frolicking in the swimming pool.
  3. Listening to graduation speeches.  I know this is a strange one, but as freelancer with our local paper I tend to cover at least a handful of these this time of year.  I love the hope and the excitement that resonates from each and every speaker.
  4. Butterflies.
  5. Camping.  This one should probably have an astrik and say fair weather camping.  I'm not much of a "camping in the rain" kind of person.  Our first trip this summer is set for the 4th of July weekend in Virginia.  We are meeting my sister, who is joining us from North Carolina.
  6. BBQs.  We had so much fun this weekend, good food, good company.
  7. Having the windows open.  It's that time of year when you can open the windows and feel the breeze as it blows across your bed.
  8. Canoeing.  Time to break out the canoe and see the kids faces light up.
  9. Fishing.  I not one for taking them off the hook, but I love to see how excited everyone gets when the catch one.
  10. Hiking.  Last summer, as part of our library program, we visited just about every park in our county in search of a stamp for our book.  It was sooo much fun and the kids really enjoyed it.  I'm looking forward to doing that again.
What is on your list?

***I hope to add photos to this later.  Having trouble uploading them now.

6 random thoughts:

Unknown said...

I like your list! Very summery : ). I also like listening to graduation speeches. It reminds me of when I graduated. My best friend was the valedictorian and I got to hear her speech a million times : ).

Becca said...

Each and everyone of those listed would definitely make me smile. Well, except for the graduation speeches. I could barely sit through the ones at my own graduation! Glad you are in a great mood today!

Claudya Martinez said...

I'm a sucker for hopeful speeches too.

septembermom said...

You have a lot of fun things to make you smile. Love how you get to hear those inspirational graduation speeches filled with hope. My kids' laughter makes me smile. Catching up with old friends always makes me smile. We all should try to smile more. I think we would all be healthier in so many ways:)

Sandra said...

That all sounds sooo fantastic!!!

I like speeches too... so uplifting!

Shannon said...

My hubby loves to fish, and I like it but I get bored easily. One time when DD was about 4 we went and she was running around so I laid my pole down and went running with her, looking for rocks and shells. Hubby was very diligently fishing the whole time...I came back and picked up my pole after about an hour. I noticed that my bobber was missing, so I started to reel in my line, and HOLY COW! I had a BIG bite! I started screaming to hubby to come help...it was a huge catfish and I thought the line would break so I just started backing up and dragged him on to the shore! My hubby was like, " I can't believe it! You weren't even fishing!" We still laugh about this today.

Blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile