My Fan Club

Monday, September 3, 2012

An open letter to my 3rd grader

Dear Little G,

Third grader, already!  This year marks a few first as well as a few lasts.  It's the first year since kindergarten that you've had a different teacher.  It's the first year that you'll take the state standardized test.  It's the first year that you won't ride with me to school in the morning.  It's just too early to drag you in there.  It's nearly too early for me.

It's the LAST year that you will be in the same building as me.  It is the last year that you will be considered an elementary student.  It's the last year that I'll know all the kiddos in your class.

As you embark on this great adventure, here are a few things to remember.


  • Speak Up.  There is no such thing as a stupid question. If you are confused, tell someone.  If your feelings are hurt, speak up.  If you need something, raise your hand.  Help is never given to those who fail to ask.
  • Perfect is not a realistic goal.  I realize that our own government expects all students to be perfect in 2014, but listen to your mama.  "Perfect is not possible."  All you can do is your best.  Often that means that someone will be better.  That doesn't mean your best isn't good enough.
  • The more you read, the more you know.  This isn't just a Dr. Seuss quote, it's actually true.  The more you read, the more you absorb and the more you absorb, well the more you know. 
  • Always be yourself.  I think we forget this as we age.  Right now, you have no problem being yourself and I hope that never changes.  But sometimes, I realize that it might be hard to believe, but sometimes we change because we think others will like us.  If only, I were _______ (faster, better at sports, smarter) then so and so would like me.  That statement couldn't be farther from the truth.  BE YOURSELF NO MATTER WHOM YOU ARE WITH.
  • Call me Mommy.  Your the last of my children to still call me mommy.  The girls have already slipped into the mom phase.  While I am enjoying watching you grow, I also relish in the simplicity of "mommy" (at least for a little while longer).

Enjoy all that you can about third grade.  It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Love,

Mommy

6 random thoughts:

Monkey said...

another beautiful letter...and again I have tears :)

Moving with Mitchell said...

Will you be my mother? What a loving and insightful letter.

Kristie Maynard said...

Another wonderful letter to one of your kids! I love your advice, especially the "perfect isn't possible" and "be yourself"
I really love the "call me Mommy" too. My daughter has started calling me Mommy again at 22 and I love it.
I guess I just love this whole letter and all it's advice, just so sweet!!!!

Kenya G. Johnson said...

Sweet and wonderful advice. My son at seven calls me mom. I cant remember when he stopped saying mommy :-(

Becca said...

Oh goodness! He is growing up {as well as your other two}. I am sure he will have a good year and will do awesome always. From your other post about him, it's obvious that he is a very kind child that has a great head sitting upon those shoulders!

Jenners said...

As always, you give darn great advice. Though he's not considered an elementary student after 3rd grade??? It is 5th grade for us. Glad that I can cling to being a mother of an elementary school student for a few more years.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile