My Fan Club

Thursday, August 30, 2012

An Open Letter to my 6th grader

 
Dear Middle G,.
 
Are you really in 6th grade?  Say it isn't so.  Your age keeps sneaking up on me.  Before I know it, and before I'm ready for it, you'll be asking for the car keys.
 
This is your final year at the intermediate building.  You're one of the older kids in the building, but still one of the smallest.  You have a lot of spunk and you make me laugh all the time.
 
Here are a few things I want you to remember at the start of sixth grade.
 
  • Don't be to anxious to "grow up".  You asked me the other day if I thought you should shave your legs and my response was simple.  "I think you should shave your legs as long as you are ready to make it a lifetime commitment."  Once you start you can't stop.  You decided on your own to wait a little while.  I'm sort of glad.
  • It's good to have someone who always has your back.  I'm glad you have a good buddy who you can confide in and share laughs with.  The good thing about being a girl is that we make friends easier than boys.  The bad thing about being a girl that some of those friends look for ways to create drama.
  • Boys, boys, boys.  You are starting to realize that not all boys are gross.  My advice to you regarding boys, "Never let a boy come between you and a friend.  It's simply not worth it."
  • School is important.   You aren't exceptionally excited about the start of school.  You don't really like to read and sometimes you complain about math.  While it is true that you likely will not need to know the capital of Uzbekistan, you should look at all those lessons like adventures.  Just think of all the things you might learn tomorrow.
  • Treat others the way you'd like to be treated.  I stress this point often and I'm sure you are sick of hearing it, but I think it's starting to sink in.  Tonight, when your best friend scored a goal in a scrimmage game, you immediately ran up and hugged her.  It made no difference to you that she was playing against you!
This moment, the start of 6th grade, it will never happen again.  Let's take some time to enjoy it; to relish it, to really immerse ourselves in the present.  Time really does fly and once it's gone, well it's gone.
 
I hope you learn lots of lessons in 6th grade!  Make it a great year.  The choice is yours.
 
Love,
 
Mom
 
 

4 random thoughts:

Monkey said...

These are always so sweet,heartfelt...beautiful :)

Pat said...

I love your letters to your kids. Gosh, sniff, sometimes I wish you were MY Mom!

Kristie Maynard said...

I love your letters to your kids! Such great advice you are giving them and even if they don't listen to it all now, they will hear it eventually.

Jenners said...

First of all, love the photo! She seems like a really fun girl.

Second, totally spot on advice about the leg shaving. Wait as long as you can!!!!!

Third, I think your lessons are getting through.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile