My Fan Club

Friday, May 13, 2011

Lessons from the lunchlady: baby grapes anyone?

Not an actual lunch served by my cafeteria! NASTY

This was another long week in the cafeteria for me. I am beginning to realize that I need summer to begin just as much as the students.

Here's what I learned.
  • Multiple grade level field trips The week started with a K-2 level field trip and the kids needed to eat a little early so they could all get on the bus. We bagged all of these lunches and had them ready for an 11:30 start time. We usually don't serve that many kids at once. It resembled feeding time at the zoo.
  • Free breakfast. Our Taste it Tuesday event continues to be a HUGE success. Even without a reminder we served over 130 kids for breakfast. Keep in mind we only have 200 kids and there are only 2 of us (plus an aide) who work breakfast. A big shout out to our principal for helping serve and for allowing for extra time for the kiddos to eat.
  • Grandparents can be gropey. We had grandparents day on Wednesday. We served over a hundred grandparents as well as all of our students. One grandfather was quite friendly. I was taking tickets and handing out water. This grandfather touched my face, patted my head and hugged me. He was so friendly one of the aides asked if he was my father.
  • Fourth grade food is better. Our 3rd graders went to their new intermediate school for lunch one day this week. Some returned singing the praises of their wonderful lunches. I smiled and nodded and refrained from saying "Can't wait until you are eating there."
  • Yogurt and fruit parfaits. These little cups of goodness should never be served in tall cups. They are too top heavy for our kids. I have never seen so much yogurt hitting the floor. It wasn't pretty.
  • Blueberries and grapes. I have often expressed concern about our students lack of knowledge when it comes to basic foods. They often don't recognize pears and can't tell the difference between peas and green beans. Today I heard a 3rd grader ask another student "Did you get the big grapes or the baby grapes." Really?
What did you learn this week?

4 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I saw that tray and thought grosssssssssssssssssss then u said it wasnt from your school and I was all like "I knew it" :)

Jenners said...

That photo is just revolting!!

And that is very very sad about the "grapes." And Ick to the grabby gradndad!

Amanda said...

I can only imagine. Unfortunately there is a trend in men, where the older they get the dirtier they become, sorry.

Personally I learned that it's possible to guard a crossing and not turn into a raving maniac, when some of the kids will cross the street, on their own, 5 meters from where I stand, just to show how cool they are.

Kristie Maynard said...

I'm so glad you aren't serving that lunch in the picture!!!!! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to eat it, except maybe that orange. Don't know what else was being served there!
I learned that it is the annual "Let's drive the family crazy with all my cleaning" time. Hubby has the next couple weekends off and has started cleaning. He does this every year about this time. It's nice that he does this cleaning and organizing, but we all really hate when he starts, as he just doesn't stop and he isn't on our schedule. It's no fun to come home to an empty garage and be told, "You need to help me finish sorting this stuff and get it back in the garage." Wouldn't mind if he didn't get it half done and then let us know we were doing it. I learned, rather relearned, that I hate this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile