My Fan Club

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The 1st Grade Field Trip: creepy, crawly and educational.

Today I took a break from the repeative life of a lunch lady and stepped out with the 1st graders on their field trip to a local county park.

I was put in charge of four kids, one of them my son and shortly after 9 a.m. we loaded onto one of two school buses for our adventure.

Here's what I learned:

  • Any ride on a bus lasting more than five minutes is considered LOOOOOONG by 1st graders.
  • These six and seven year olds know alot more about insects than I do.  For example, all insects have three body parts.  Without googling them can you tell me what they are called?  My son's class could.
  • March in PA is a little early for an outside hike, but enjoyable none-the-less.  Just don't plan on seeing much wildlife as they are a lot smarter than humans.
  • I am bigger than a bobcat and smaller than a buffalo.
  • That Cheese-Its come in very tiny bags.
  • Kids ask AWESOME questions like:  Why are boy birds prettier than girl birds?  Did the (taxidermied) beaver get run over by a truck? Do all hippos have mustashes?  Does the queen bee wear a crown?  I wish...she'd be a lot easier to find.
  • Butterflies have tounges like party blowers.  I bet that makes them ideal party animals.  I mean they come already decorated and with their own favors.
  • Dobson Flies still freak me out.

5 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I say any bus ride with 1st graders that last more than 5 minutes seems loooooooooooong...lol ;) you're a brave soul

Jenners said...

Those are awesome questions! And I'm so happy I've been told not to chaperone ANY field trips.

Aimee said...

Thank you for sharing this! All I got out of my first grader about the field trip was that it was fun, they took a hike and learned about bugs.

Becca said...

How fun! I can't wait to go on field trips with my girls once they are in school. I laughed at those silly questions. Oh, the mind of a child! AND That fly is disgusting!

septembermom said...

that fly would freak me out too

Glad that you had a fun and informative trip!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile