My Fan Club

Friday, January 7, 2011

Lessons from the Lunchlady



I thought returning from Christmas break would be relatively easy.  After all, my boss would be back to work, there would be significantly less demanded of me and I would get a chance to be on register instead of behind the dreaded counter.

Ah, no.

As you know, I had a small nervous breakdown on Tuesday.  Which, I might add, was only my second day back.

That being said, here is what I learned this week in the cafeteria.

Don't ask a question you don't want the answer too.  I asked a second grader how he was doing and he said "Better than this morning when my brother hit me in the nuts with a light saber."  In the nuts.  That's really what he said.
Nothing is surprising.  A 1st grader told me today that on a recent trip to Mexico she tried some beer and it was very yucky.  I told her to remember that when she started middle school.
Budget talk brings out the ugly.  We had a meeting this week about the fiscal status of our district.  I'll spare you the details, but it isn't pretty.  When the superintendent starts dropping phrases like "pay freezes" and "teacher contract renegotiations" you can pretty much be certain that things are about to get catty.
Two hour delays.  Lunch doesn't change on a two hour delay.  It's still served at the same time.  We just have two hours less to make it.  Last year we changed the menu to PBJ and soup.  However today my boss insisted that we make the pizza.  She showed up at her normal 7 a.m. hour.  I showed up at 10:15, two hours late (hence the delay).  I have kids I need to put on the bus.  I can't just leave them behind.  My boss is completely aware of this.  The other lunch lady is a bus driver.  She also can't be there until 10:45, after her bus runs.  Lunch starts at 11:40.  It is what it is.  That's why, in my opinion, PBJ and soup is a better choice.
Honesty Rocks.  I told my principal about  my previously mentioned nervous breakdown and she had a 3rd grade intervention.  It was awesome.  She specifically told all of them that if they wouldn't say it to her they shouldn't say it to us.  All adults in the building must and will be treated with respect.  Then she told them that if they weren't polite they wouldn't be served until they could be.  I. HEART. MY. PRINCIPAL.

What did you learn this week?

8 random thoughts:

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Great insight!

Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Love love, Andrew. Bye. Take wonderful and gentle care.

Unknown said...

I learned I am really glad I am not a lunch lady. {*grin*}

Jenners said...

Yay for the principal. And wowza on the nuts and the beer!

septembermom said...

That principal does ROCK! Ouch on the nuts comment.

Anonymous said...

love the lunchlady lessons...;)

Kristie Maynard said...

Wow! Seems that I just checked your blog a couple days ago and there weren't any new posts. I come today and here are a whole bunch of them. Glad to have you back blogging!
What did I learn? Oh my! It's been too long since last week to remember! LOL!
I love your principal too. My kids used to have one like that and we were very close for a lot of years. I haven't seen her for a while though. She's still in the district, but as it seems to happen to many of the best, she got the shaft and isn't a principal any longer. And she was one of the best I've ever known!

Cap'n Salty said...

I'd take PBJ and soup any day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile