My Fan Club

Friday, October 1, 2010

What I learned in the cafeteria this week


Here's a few things I learned in the cafeteria this week.

  • Dependent.  We are raising a very dependent generation.  I saw third graders just standing at the condiment table this week waiting helpless for someone to come along and put salad dressing on their salad.  Seriously?  Aren't you 9?
  • Hungry.  These kids are hungry for all the wrong things.  If you only eat the hot dog, You are going to be starving.  Why not take a fruit?  Why not try the beans?  Just because it looks different doesn't make it yucky.
  • Ice Tea and Soda. It's okay for some parents to send bottled iced tea and soda with their children to eat with their breakfast.  Are you serious?  Your kid is in the 2nd grade and you are teaching them to drink a Mt. Dew with their cinnamon rolls.  NOT ALLOWED.  Keep your high fructose corn syrup at home.
  • Reimbursable meals.  I'm certain that even if I work in the cafeteria for many years I will never understand the government guidelines that regulate meals.  How is it possible that a student can just take a side salad and a pbj?  What about milk?  Shouldn't that be required for all those not allergic?
  • Soy.  This little ingredient is going to be the death of me.  This week we found it in hot dog buns, bread, saltines, chicken nuggets, spaghetti shells, and processed government eggs.  Makes you wonder what else we are eating doesn't it?
What did you learn this week?


6 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

ooops I have pepsi for breakfast every day :( lol

Anonymous said...

funny stuff :)

Jenners said...

I'm so shocked by what kids eat for breakfast. One girl at the bus stop told us she ate a fruit roll-up for breakfast.

Kristie Maynard said...

I have to admit I am very bad about breakfast, always have been and don't like to eat in the morning.
What have I learned this week? The exciting thing is that I was chosen for a design team for QKR Stampede a rubber stamp company and that is pretty cool.
I have also learned recently that some people are as dumb as a bag of rocks. We are trying to have people go from snail mail to e-mail for our business. We send them letters with a postage paid postcard asking if they want to continue on snail mail, go to e-mail or be removed from our mailing list. You can't believe how many send back the card saying to remove them from the mailing list, but never fill out the part about who they are and what their address is. What don't they get?
See there are brainless people everywhere aren't there?

Unknown said...

And if you were a vegan, you'd be sad that there was so little soy in their diet. {*grin*}

septembermom said...

Breakfast is the one meal that I try to make sure that the kids eat right. I don't want them crashing early in the morning from a sugar high then drop. Loved seeing the SNL skit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile