My Fan Club

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Writer's Workshop: Disappointed by a teacher

About four years ago, when oldest was in second grade, I noticed a bite mark on her and couldn't fathom in my mind where it came from.

The mark was on her inner thigh!

I asked her about it and she said, "Bobby" bit her at lunch.

My mind reeled.  How could that be?  If someone bit her at school surely the teacher would have called me or at least the nurse, right?

What in the world was "Bobby's" head doing near her va jay jay?

What was going on at lunch?  Was there no supervision?

I called the school the very next morning and asked to talk to the then principal.  He told me that it didn't warrant a phone call because no skin had been broken.

And something inside me snapped.

What about location?

Don't give me any bullshit about your privacy requirements.  My kid is 7 and knows who bit her.  I know he's currently in foster care and I'm concerned why I'm the only one upset about the fact that he bit my daughter on her INNER thigh.

I want you to mark her file with a big red notation that says if she is bit on any part of her body you are to call me.

Also I want to know what disciplinary action was taken and when my daughter can expect an apology.

Seriously....on her INNER THIGH



Mama's Losin' It

7 random thoughts:

Becca said...

I would have been at the school raising all sorts of mess! That's crazy!

Anonymous said...

foster care....bite, inner thigh....someone needs to check into his home life....

I hope your daughter is ok :)

Jenners said...

On her inner thigh? That is nuts! It seems schools either overreact to stuff or underreact ... that is definitely a case of taking it too lightly.

Anonymous said...

schools now a days are scary places...my niece comes home with some awful stories.

hope your daughter is ok :)

Unknown said...

I'm surprised the child welfare task force wasn't brought in. Seems most schools over react in any way to human violence (like bites) at any age.

littlen said...

If the school won't address the issue I'd be calling child protective services and reporting the incident. Have to wonder what the people in charge at the schools are thinking sometimes. Sounds like they just don't want to "get involved". Who are they supposed to protect here, the victim or the perpetrator?

septembermom said...

OMG!!! That is so unacceptable. I can't believe the school's poor handling of that assault. That's what it was. On her inner thigh??? I can hardly believe it. Your poor girl.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile