My Fan Club

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Writer's Workshop - If I were a superhero...



This week over at Mama Kat's I choose the prompt -- If you were a superhero, what would your power be and why?


When I was a young child, I wanted to fly, then I became tall enough to ride a ride that let you feel like you were flying and I realized I didn't like it.


When I was a tween, I wanted the power to become invisible. I blame this commercial for that request. [***stands up, clears throat***] "Hello, my name is Wendy and I am small chested.








Throughout middle school I was tormented with the phrase "Hey Wendy, where's the boobs?" And yes, they yelled it just as loud as this little old lady yells "Where's the beef?"




After successfully nursing all three of my children, I thought about asking for the power to teleport. Thereby, creating the possibility that I could just pop up next to one of those assholes on the golf course, kick his jewels into next week and say "Hey, Brett, where's the balls?" and poof disappear just as quickly.




[And yet he wonders why I don't want to be his Facebook friend...but alas that is another post.]




As a young mother with three kids under five, I thought about wishing for the superpower to sleep while awake -- to recharge my battery while vacuuming or doing laundry or nursing. But the need and the time for that passed.



It's funny how when I look back at what I would have asked for I realize that they were all for me. The power to fly, the power to be invisible, the power to teleport, the power to sleep...they only benefited me.




But now that I'm pushing 40 years old (gulp) I think I would like a power that would benefit others. If I find a magic lamp while cleaning my basement today (ugh) my wish will be this -- the power to heal.




The power to heal diabetes with a whisper:





The power to wipe away cancer:






The power to touch someone and let them hear.


11 random thoughts:

Crystal said...

DANG YOU!!! I was laughing and then I cried! So poignant!

septembermom said...

Kisartle, you made me teary eyed with those last power wishes. On a lighter note, I love your "Hello my name is Wendy... line.

Sarah Andrews said...

Oh that is a great power choice. I love it actually and if I am ever asked that question, I would want the same.

Sidenote: My Mom founded a childrens education Centre for those living with Type 1 diabetes. We serve over 2000 families.

Angela said...

Wow you made me laugh and cry!! Great post!

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Ah, the power to heal the hurts, cure the sick, and to ease the mind of the mentally ill...

Until that super power is bestowed upon you, I guess we just have to keep relying on doctors and nurses and other folks who want the same thing.

Unknown said...

Great evolution to a truly useful power. I have often wondered at how hard it would be to have the power to heal and have it limited to say 3 people per day. Which 3 do you choose? And what happens if you have healed your three and then someone near and dear gets deathly ill before the day is up?

Nothing like having a scientist reader to bring things down, huh?

Diane said...

You had me going there and then blammo..... just like in the old Batman's when you get hit with the sucker punch. Good post1 :O)

Enfys said...

You always manage to make me laugh or cry, this time you did both
En xx

Erin said...

I love the super power, I hope for someone, somewhere with that same power! Someday....I hope!

Becca said...

Awe my goodness! I definitely did not see that coming. One minute I am cracking up and then the whole mood shifted! I feel like I am pregnant again!

Seriously though, very sweet! I hope your wishes come true!!

Raine said...

That was beautiful

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile