My Fan Club

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Weekend Update with photos

Wow!  My weekend was a blur--a fast whirlwind adventure that I'm so glad my kids and I decided to undertake.

We had safe travel to and from North Carolina.  We arrived at my  mother's (in Virginia) around 6:30 p.m. on Friday.  We had super and tried to get the kids to bed at a reasonable time, but you know how that goes when you are sleeping away from home.

At 7:30 a.m. we were on the road again!  I'm happy to say that we made it to my sister's by 1 p.m. and that included a nice sit down brunch at Denny's.

On Saturday evening we went to a very informative and impressively well planned JDRF event that included a meal and some speakers and lots and lots of kids activities.

Part of the JDRF event included a East Carolina University basketball game.  Much to my surprise the kids had a really good time.  ECU didn't win, but the halftime show was really funny and the kids were clapping and cheering and really into it.
Sunday was special for two reasons: 1) It was my niece's birthday party and 2) It was the AFC championship game.

Here she is smilin' like a girly girl getting ready to blow out her candles.  The party had a cooking theme and each child got to make their own apron and pizza and icing their own cupcake.  It was a lot of fun and the kids really seemed to enjoy it.

After the party, the Pittsburgh Steelers took on the Baltimore Ravens in arousing game of football.  Some of my British friends asked me what I was talking about in my previous post so here is my pathetic attempt at an explaination.  As I'm sure you know, our version of football and your version of football vary slightly.  This weekend there were only four teams left.  The winners of those two games move on to the SUPERBOWL...which is the biggest game of all!

In the area of Pennsylvania where I grew up, the only team worth cheering for was the Steelers.  I yell at the TV when they are playing like a crazied woman, often to my children's amusement.  Now I live closer to Baltimore and in this area there are quite a few Baltimore Ravens fans.  The torture of losing to them would have been....well let's not think about it because....

Pittsburgh is going to the Superbowl!
My kids and my sister's kids all wearing Steeler attire!

2 random thoughts:

Shannon said...

Wow! Talk about a 'whirlwind tour!' Sound like you had a great time and so did the kids. I love the pic of the kids all in team colors! Especially the girl in the football jersey! (you go girl!) I am SO not a footbal fan, but I can be excited for you anyway!!!!!

Blessings,
Shannon

Enfys said...

Now I know what the Steelers are!! Good luck to your team at the superbowl. One of my US friends is having a superbowl party, of course we are always here in the UK for important stuff like the superbowl, (oh, and a very personable man being inaugurated into possibly the most important job in the world :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile