My Fan Club

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Some books I read this summer

In June I posted my summer goals and one of them was to read five books.

Amazingly, I was able to accomplish this.

Here are some mini reviews.

I won a copy of this book from fellow blogger Pish and I have to tell you that it was so funny that I cried.

Jenny Lawson must somehow be related to me. She has a way of making you feel like a sister through this entire book. In fact, I dare you to read it and not snort laugh. She covers the highs and lows of parenting, what it is like to live with a taxidermist as a father, what happens to you when you go on a laxative diet and how twitter can help when buzzards are attempting to dig up your dead dog.

My favorite quote: “Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing - rather than running from - the utter absurdity of life.”

I simply love Jennifer Weiner. This book is clever. It covers the story of four women, Bettina, India, Annie and Jules. One decides to donate her eggs for her own personal reasons. One decides to be a surrogate for her own personal reasons and one decides to adopt a baby for her own personal reasons. Bettina decides that she needs to know what lies beneath these reasons and is surprised by what she uncovers.

This book takes many unexpected twists and the characters are well developed and incredibly likable. Like I said, I simply love Jennifer Weiner.


This was a book club pick and it was easy to relate to. I think anyone who has ever parented a child can relate. Smoker is hilarious and her take on things is realistic.

This book was also a book club book. I can't say that I would read another Karen White book but I will say the voice in this book was impressive. The storyline was silty unbelievable, but the voice was fantastic.

It is told from the point of view of two women--one in contemporary time and the other living in the 1800s. While I do not believe is reincarnation the tempo of the book was fast paced enough to keep my attention.

It is not a book I would read again, but it does pose some unique questions.


I have been a huge Jay Asher fan since the publication of thirteen reasons why and this book was equally intriguing.

Imagine it is 1996 and nearly half of all high school students have never been online. American online is sending out AOL cd-roms in attempts to entice. Image you load the disk and suddenly you can see your Facebook page from 15 years in the future.

Facebook hasnt even been invented.

Would you alter your life to positively change your future?

Would you pick a different college in order to avoid meeting your future husband?

Would you tell a friend she's about to become a teen mother?

Loved this book.

What have you been reading?

7 random thoughts:

Rebecca said...

these ll look good will check them out

~Wendy said...

I only read one book this summer because of my classes but it was riveting in a sad way. Heaven High and Hell Deep by Peggy Poe Stern. The story is told from a young girl's perspective. Circa early 1900's in the mountains of North Carolina. Her mom and sister are whacked and thus her father is whipped... She marries to escape it all. The premise of the story is that these mountain girls were tough. Well - let me just say the author takes you down roads I didn't want to go to establish the story... sad and perhaps a bit far fetched I suppose but I found myself cheering in the last chapters.

Pat said...

I am currently LISTENING to Jenny Lawson's book, and it is quite hysterical. She reads it herself and it is like she is having a conversation with you.

Two of your other books are on my reading list, Jennifer Weiner and Karen White. I haven't gotten to them yet.

I've read some good thrillers like Girl Gone, Defending Jacob, and Into the Darkest Corner. I would recommend all of those if you like thrillers.

I just finished a light and breezy romance by Beth Kendrick called, "The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service". It was a quick read. I will look into more of her books!

Monkey said...

a couple of these look like must reads to me...thanx :)

Kristie Maynard said...

I'm a huge reader, I always have a book going on my Nook, one in the car for all those times I'm sitting waiting for something or someone and often a book that I'm listening to in the car. This summer I ready 7 Jon Land books which I really enjoyed, Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Lani Taylor which was a little bizaar, but I did enjoy it, The Curse of the Spellmana by Lisa Lutz which is light and funny about a PI family who are very unique to say the least and I can't remember what else. But I will say I didn't read anything I didn't enjoy.

Jenners said...

I'm listening to the Jenny Lawson book now. It is fun! And I used to read Scary Mommy's blog!! How cool that she got a book deal!! Good job reading!

septembermom said...

I like your book choices. I think that I'll check out the Lawson book. I think that your favorite quote from that one is a good one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile