My Fan Club

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

May Book of the Month: Are You There Vodka, It's me Chelsea

This book is an easy, fun read for summer as long as you are not easily offended by sex and foul language.

Handler leaves no detail of her personal life out of this book and I found myself frequently asking "Could this really be true?".

From her hilarious trip overseas with a recently rejected girlfriend to her little person co-star, these stories will make you snort out loud with laughter.

A personal favorite is when Big Red, her red-headed boyfriend, thinks she is getting two serious and comes over to break up with her while she has another guy hiding under her bed.

Also, having been humiliated at a step-aerobics class myself by an instructor who took pity on my inability to follow the routine and got onto my step to show me, I could relate very well to the following excerpt.

Having realized that she has put on a few pounds, Chelsea seeks the help of a nutritionist who recommends she vary her exercise routine and take an aerobic class. The following is her response.

I explained to Mark (the nutritionist) that I had been kicked out of three separate aerobics classes due to severe motor challenges when moving my arms and legs in different directions. He seemed suspicious of me and I didn't want him to think I was making up excuses. I told him about the first time I took a step class, when I hit my neighbor after I had somehow managed in my confusion to step my way over to her step. The first time I backhanded her, the instructor let it slide. The second time, my victim had fallen to the floor and was covering one side of her face when the music came to a screeching halt. I would have been an idiot not to figure out that I had made a major step faux pas. The last incident was during a class called the Bar Method, which uses ballet bars and poses that focus on concentrated areas. This was the only class I hadn't been kicked out of due to my spastic hand-eye coordination. But I did get kicked out for giving the instructor the finger. After hearing this, Mark suggested I try boxing.

2 random thoughts:

Enfys said...

Books a million here I come...
hugs
En

Jenners said...

This has been on my wish list at Paperback Swap forever ... perhaps I need to bump it up to "shell out my own money and buy it."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile