My Fan Club

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Just Write Tuesday #13

Last week was the first time in 14 weeks that I haven't written at least a snippet for Just Write Tuesday. I can't believe I've been doing it that long. Funny how time just flies when you are having fun.

I remember when my daughter, who was six at the time, utter one of the most terrifying phrases I'd ever heard. She said, "Mommy, I want to be a cheerleader." What? A cheerleader? My past experience with cheerleaders hadn't been what I would call enlightening. The cheerleaders I had encountered over my life time always traveled together and pointed out everyone's flawesbut their own. Visions of the movie "Heathers" and the slutty dance done by the evil cheerleader in Bring it on: all or nothing were racing through my head. I tried to find out why my six year wanted to be a cheerleader.

"Really," I said, "You want to cheer? Why's that, honey?"

"Pom poms" she said, "I just love pom poms and jumping and yelling and wearing skirts."

"Don't you want to participate in the sport, instead of just being a spectator? Wouldn't you rather play soccer than cheer for those who do?"

She thought about that for awhile and answered simply, "Nope."

Thus began my foray into the art of cheerleading. Our first coaching experience wasn't great. The three women, all parents of squad members, seemed ill prepared and spent most of their time trying to recruit "real cheerleaders" to teach the little girls.

I found this aggravating and began helping out where I could and soon some of the girls started calling me coach. I have to admit that I liked the sound of that.

After that season ended, my daughter begged me to allow her to continue to cheer. So she began cheering for basketball and then football. By the time the football season rolled around, I was very familiar with the cheers and when approached by the organizational head and asked about possibly coaching, I felt that I probably could handle that.

"As long as it's not too big of a squad," I said.

Shouldn't have uttered that out loud because come football season, I found myself the proud head coach of a squad of 19 7 and 8 year old girls.

It was challenging but in the long run it was fun. I came to respect the sport of cheerleading. It truly is a discipline that requires a great amount of skill.

That same six year old is now already nine and just tried out for a competition squad and come fall I'll probably be coaching again. No not competition. I know my limitation. I'll be coaching my other daughter's basketball squad.

0 random thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile