My Fan Club

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Oklahoma on a not-so-typical day

On a typical morning, most of us wake up and do not plan for our deaths.

We wake up with expectations of waking up again the following day. We go through our routines. We tell ourselves that we won't get irritated with our kids...tomorrow. We tell ourselves that we will put our laundry away...tomorrow.

We make plans.

We picture our futures.

But sometimes those plans are interrupted by car accidents or illnesses or tornadoes.

On a typical day, we send our kids to school with expectations that we will see them again.

But sadly, we all know that this isn't always how the day ends. Lately, it feels like that every few months we are reminded of this.

There are approximately 7 million teachers and 1.75 million school administrators in the United States.

I am not one of them.

However, I know many of them.

Some are even family members.

Not all of them are created equal.

But on those not-so-typical days, some of them are extraordinary.

It is those not-so-typical days, that we are reminded of just how much we ask of our school employees.

On Monday, when that nameless 2 mile wide tornado tore through Moore, Oklahoma and ripped through Plaza Towers Elementary School many did all they could to save the children left in their care.

One rescue worker was quoted as saying, "We had to pull a car out of the front hall off a teacher and I don't know what her name is, but she had three little kids underneath her. Good job, teach."

Another teacher is said to have been found shielding six students in an interior bathroom.

I am proud to say that I know countless people whom I believe would do the same. They would risk it all to save the kids in their class. They would do all they could to keep the children in their charge safe.

As a school employee, I think that includes not just the teachers but the administrators, the aides, the custodians and the lunch staff.

Tomorrow my alarm will go off and I will plan for a typical day. My kids will get on three different buses and I will trust that they will make it to and from their respective destinations.

But should tomorrow turn out to be a not-so-typical day, I know deep in my heart that those I have entrusted my kids to would die trying to keep them safe.

To all the heroes in Oklahoma and elsewhere, I salute you.

4 random thoughts:

Becca said...

The images are heartbreaking. And so are the stories. But it is good to know that there are people out there that will do all they can to protect our littles. I'm glad you are home safely with them tonight as too many are not as fortunate!

Pat said...

It is heartbreaking especially to hear of the children being killed. There were many, many heros in Oklahoma that day, as I believe, like you, there would be in anytown, USA, if something like that would happen.

Kristie Maynard said...

A tragic situation always brings out the best and the worst in people. Seems we've been hearing about a lot of wonderful hero's in this tragedy. I join you in saluting them all.

Jenners said...

Well said.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile