My Fan Club

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Lessons from the lunchlady: sometimes you gotta wool with the punches

I'm convinced there was a full moon this week as we had a lot of significantly strange behavior and it's not snowing yet.

Here's what I learned.

Fire safety week. Nothing screams fire safety week like little kids proudly announcing to you that they know what to do if they catch on fire. "Stop, drop and wool. Thas what you need to do."

Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name. Sometimes I take breakfast to teachers. Sometimes I drop off pudding cups with cookies and cream whipped topping to someone I know might need a little pick me up. It never fails to make me smile when, like Norm from cheers, all the kids stop what they're doing to say my name. "Hello, Miss Wendy"

I've got a feeling. In a super odd move this week, I just got done saying that I thought it odd we had not seen the state inspector yet and within five minutes of my statement he was in the kitchen. All remains well in the cafeteria although I may have to have some service on the dishwasher. This is sort of a bonus as the dishwasher repairman is quite pleasant to look at.

Bampire bumpkins are hard to make. I'm usually pretty good at deciphering kid-speak, but when a first grader told his teacher he was making a bampire bumpkin it took me quite a while to figure out just what his Jack-o-lantern was going to look like.

Breakfast for lunch. Kids love pancakes and sausage. It continues to be our most popular meal with the least amount of alternates. It out scores pizza and that's saying a lot.

I also learned that I'm gonna miss having one of my own kids in the building. Here we are embarrassing my son with a birthday basket.


What did you learn this week?

8 random thoughts:

Cap'n Salty said...

Your posts always make me grin. I love reading about your cafeterial (that's a word, right?) adventures.

Monkey said...

I learned that when a blog post is started with an amazing photo of pancakes I have a hard time concentrating on anything else :)

Rebecca said...

i always love reading these post they make me smile

Lisa Lewis Koster said...

Sounds like you have an unending source of material there!

Jenners said...

I just love that birthday basket idea. And I'm impressed that breakfast beats out pizza!!!

Moving with Mitchell said...

What did I learn? I learned that every week I like you a little bit more! That final photo is wonderful and he DOES look mortified (proud and mortified).

Stop, drop, and wool could be dangerous. Isn't wool highly flammable? Also, what kind of punch do you gotta wool with? Fruit punch?

My mouth is watering for those pancakes. I haven't had any in years and it's not something you find on a menu here!

Mercy Langille said...

Bampire bumpkins! Haha, cute.

Every day I learn something new from my kids - like how my toddler can tell off her brother and sound just like me, including the finger-wagging and stern voice. :)

Unknown said...

Very funny. I don't think any food beats pizza at our house though.

I learned about fire safety as well, and that all fire dogs have spots.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile