My Fan Club

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lessons from the lunchlady: I do a lot more than just dishes

It's hard to believe this is our last Friday installment. I will provide a year ending piece next Wednesday and perhaps a bonus piece next Friday regarding my first cafeteria management training session.

I've been told it will include valuable lessons like conflict management and a personality test. I hope I dont find out I have no personality.

This week I learned...

Returning after a georgeous holiday weekend pretty much sucks. I was sunburned and tired and Tuesday sucker punched me.

Lunch money vs. cheese sandwich. On sucker punch Tuesday it looked like cheese sandwich was winning...but after falling behind lunch money made a comeback. Somewhere out there a lunchlady is feeding a kid who's parent decided lunch was no longer necessary the last week of school. Do her a favor and make sure your kid has money or send some with a kid you know doesn't.

Cook's choice and random sandwiches. As predictable as the back to school sale is at Walmart, so is the end of the year Cook's choice menu option. Personally, I'd like to see it called Totally Random Chicken Chunk Tuesday or Feed Me What's in the Freezer Friday.

Careful what you ask. Dr. Principal said to a student after a long absence "It's good to see you. Are you feeling better now?" His reply, "Yep, I had really bad diarrhea!"

Better than no one. My dad once told me that it's important to remember that you are better than no one and no one is better than you. I'm gonna let you in on a secret (whispering) it was never a dream of mine to work in the cafeteria. Believe it or not, for a short period in my life I wanted to be an eye doctor. Soon I realized I wasn't really wired that way. Totally a left brain profession and I am clearly right brained. Journalism seemed like a better choice but somewhere along the way I took a detour. I've come full circle from food service, to maid, to legal secretary, to mom and back to food service. In the midst of all of that I have written for many magazines, I've written regularly for the newspaper, I have kept a blog for five years and I have completed two books that I hope to someday get published. I still believe that I am better than no one and no one is better than me yet this week twice I felt like I was looked down upon because I do dishes for a living.

Trust me, I do a lot more than dishes.

What did you learn this week?

3 random thoughts:

~Wendy said...

I learned:

1) Fresh chives from the garden are a fabulous addition to baked potatoes.

2) Chipmunks eat ALOT of sunflower seeds when I am not looking.

3) Two 65-pound dogs can move cinder blocks a considerable distance, again, when I am not looking.

4) The more I study for a test, the better I do, but the anxiety level doesn't seem to subside.

5) I am a very impatient person and waiting until 5:00 p.m. for a test score is extremely difficult.

6) Tornado watches are not so much fun when there is no one to share the thrill with.

7) and... last but not least... that I REALLY miss all of you at MWE!

4)

Kristie Maynard said...

More interesting lessons. Let's see, I learned that summer isn't really hear yet. It was so gorgeous and hot and sunny and these last few days it's cool and rainy.
I also learned that my little dog, who we rescued when my hubby's cousin passed away on Christmas, is getting pretty comfortable here. Today, I would have thought she was one of my kids. She was teasing and I told her "No, go lay down." She walked in circles grumbling and finally laid down with a big sigh. She is so stinkin' cute!

Jenners said...

No one is better than anyone. That's the truth!

And our cafeteria is having cook's choice next week and my son is all excited to have this "mystery meal." I'm curious what it will turn out to be.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile