My Fan Club

Monday, July 11, 2011

Seven things I have learned from Harry Potter

With the big premiere of the final installment of the Harry Potter films just a few short days away I thought I would share with you what I have learned from this book/movie series.

1. Friendship can see you through anything. No matter the problem, whether it be facing a giant three headed dog, battling your arch nemisis, killing a troll, or picking out dress robes for a Yule Ball, life is better with friends to share it with. They can help you battle through just about anything.

2. It's all in how you react. We all have asked questions such as the ones that Harry asks. Why is this happening? What did I do to deserve this? When will this cup pass from me? My dad always says "Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you react to it."

3. We will always live on. Those familiar with the books know that some of the most beloved characters, starting with Harry's parents, to Dobby, to Fred Weasley, to Dumbledore, to Hedwig, all the way down to Snape do not make it to the end of the story. What we learn though is that what we leave behind is part of who we are.

4. Always trust your instints. From the very first movie, Harry learned to trust his gut. Harry learned to surround himself with people who make him happy and tried, for the most part, to avoid those who didn't.

5. Never give up. No matter how hard the task seems to be, whether it be as simple as getting a good grade on your O.W.L.S. or finally overthrowing a Dark Lord, the trick is never to give up.

6. Magic is all around us. I don't have any friends that carry wands, but I do know some magical people. I know people who teach kids to read, who care for the dying, who preach about truth, who make me laugh, who hug me when I feel like crying. They may not chant any spells but they are no less magical.

7. Love is the most powerful of all magic. Most Harry Potter fans know that the love of Harry's mom is what saved him from Voldemort when he was a child. One of the best parts in the Order of the Phoenix is the part when Harry fights off The Big V by telling him he has something worth fighting for. "You're the weak one. You will never know love or friendship."

LOVE. FRIENDSHIP. Something worth fighting for.

4 random thoughts:

Pat said...

Sweet...and all so true!

Kristie Maynard said...

Wonderful! The people who are critical of the Harry series, should read this. I do love these books/movies!
Great perspective.

Cath said...

Oh, I love this! So very true. I cannot believe it is the end!

Rebecca said...

i love the harry potter series and reading this just made realize why i loved them so much. your seven lessons on life were spot on and so very true. These are great books for children of all ages.

Everyday Life

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile