My Fan Club

Thursday, August 12, 2010

I miss the friend you used to be

I lived in Ohio for nearly a decade.

My kids were all born there.

I had some roots that were tough to dig up when my husband's company transferred us to Pennsylvania.

I didn't really want to come.

I had tons of friends. The kids had tons of friends. I didn't want to start over. I didn't want to let go. I didn't want to move.

There were pros to this move. We'd be closer by 3 hours to almost all of our family. Not so close that they would just drop by but close enough that they could come for a day if they wanted too.

I was convinced in February of 2005 that I would remain friends with everyone in Ohio no matter what.

But that didn't happen. Sure we are "facebook friends" but we all know that isn't the same. Sure we occassionally look at pics of our kids and comment about how big they are but we aren't really friends anymore.

Even my oldest can't remember most of them.

In some ways, I'm jealous. Part of me wishes I could forget the fact that we aren't all friends anymore.

But I guess friends come into your life for a season, some stay and some don't and that too is okay.


This post inspired by Mama Kat's workshop.

6 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

the winds of change....ya gotta be like a tree, learning to sway in the wind.....it's tough.

Steven Anthony
http://manndish.blogspot.com/

Shelley said...

This is so true. Some friends are only there for a little while, and some last forever. Sometimes it can be hard to let go of a friendship. It's easier if you make new friends. Stopping by from Mama Kat's writer's workshop!

septembermom said...

I have that same experience with some of my friends from years ago. It's weird how time and distance can change some friendships in major ways. I guess that's what happens sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I miss you! I felt the same way when we moved out to Las Vegas. I was devastated but believed that I needed to follow my husband and what God was telling him to do.
The move has been good for us, but the loss of all of those friendships weighed very heavily on me for a long time.
Facebook has made it a lot easier to know what's going on with everyone, but it hasn't helped the friendships stay strong.

I can send my kids to you for awhile if you want. They might stop bickering long enough to have a little fun :)

Angelia Sims said...

A season for a reason. I agree, it's sad to lose friendships. Especially from moving. :-(

Jenners said...

I hear you. I've had a ton of friendships that didn't survive the movement of time (whether moving, changing jobs, etc.) For so many friendships, being nearby (physically) is key.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile