My Fan Club

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Writer's Workshop: I wanna dance with somebody who loves me

Unless you are completely out of touch with reality you probably heard that Whitney Houston died last Saturday.

Apparently, when you are famous your death effects people in weird ways.

I will admit that I was slightly surprised but not entirely shocked. Whitney has struggled with very public addiction problems for a very long time. Even before Bobby.

After hearing about her death, I had an overwhelming urge to watch The Bodyguard with Kevin Costner, listen to I will always love you and dance with somebody who loves me.

In all seriousness, the song Dance with Somebody reminds me of working the closing shift at Burger King when I was about sixteen. The customers were gone. The building was empty. The doors were locked. The radio was blarring.

Belt it out Whitney!!!

My co-worker was singing while wiping down the front of the kitchen. I was singing and dancing while mopping the back.

More than 20 years have passed since then and so many things have changed. What hasn't changed is that I am still dancing and singing in the back of a kitchen.

3 random thoughts:

Paula Kiger said...

Oh Good Lord I am the first random thought? I enjoyed your post and can def picture you jamming out while tidying up the Burger King. Those were some darned catchy songs. What a sparkling talent that woman had in her prime!

Recovering Supermom said...

I used to dance in my living room to "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". So many of her songs bring up so many memories of my childhood. Her voice was an amazing powerhouse.

Gina said...

my friend and I used to dance to that song. She was amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile