My Fan Club

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A eulogy for Patrick the Hermit Crab

It is time to reflect on the life of our recently departed hermit crab, Patrick. Patrick was a cranky little critter who was often forgotten in our home. His longevity of four years is mind boggling.

What I will remember most about him was his ability to escape and be found days later alive. Still not sure how he did that.

We will miss his forever digging, his amazing pinching skills, the fact that he actually molted six times whilst he lived here causing us to assume he died repeatedly, and his solidarity. He never once asked for a roommate.

We will not miss the odor that eminated from his tank or his ability to only make noise in the middle of the night.

RIP Patrick. Here's hoping that your resting somewhere salty and sandy.

6 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I must say that is the sweetest eulogy for a hermit crab I have ever read :)

Jenners said...

Well, that was … uh … touching? No … too strong a word. Perhaps funny and a bit sad.

Rebecca said...

so sorry for your loss

Kristie Maynard said...

Oh poor Patrick, alas he had a long and seemingly happy life.
Kelsie brought home a snail she found in the parking lot a couple weeks ago. She just sat it on the island in the kitchen, until I told her she needed to get it off my counter or we would be having it for dinner. Just joking of course, I thought it was just a shell. Then my niece put it into a bowl with some water and lo and behold, out came the snail, much larger than I expected. He is now living happily (both my part and his) in the tank at my brothers house. His name is Gary.

septembermom said...

You gave him a very nice send off...

DeepBlue said...

You had a hermit crad pet?

*turns to Mom*

- "Ma, did you know there are people out there who keep a hermit crab as a pet?"

- "How many bullfrogs did you bring home when you were a kid?"

Never mind!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile