My Fan Club

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Five Things I learned in the Cafeteria


Working in an elementary school with Christmas fast approaching is sort of like working in an amusement park. There are quite a few over stimulated, excited children anxiously awaiting holiday break.

Most of the staff, from principal on down, looks a little tired.

Things I learned this week include:

  • Offering the choice between grape jelly and strawberry jelly can cause quite a pause amongst our youngest students.
  • Everyone under 10 thinks all cheese must be orange.
  • Touching the oven with your arm, even if it is for a millisecond, will result in an ugly looking burn.
  • The amount of work done in a week is no where near the amount of pay you receive.
  • Lunch ladies are like Santa -- we definitely know which kids should be on the naughty list and which ones should be on the nice list.

Five days till my well-deserved holiday break!

6 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

lunch ladies are like santa... so cute;)

septembermom said...

So which list is longer, naughty or nice?

I know about those quick nasty oven burns. I have one on the inside of my wrist that looks nasty.

Unknown said...

Sympathies for the burn.

Choices in a lunch line - unheard of! {*grin*}

Janis Lewis said...

That was awesome! Maybe you should get a consulting job with Santa for the Naughty Nice list? :)

Jenners said...

I have to say, you're getting tons of blog fodder from this cafeteria thing!!! I love it!

Gina said...

I didn't realize you were a lunch lady until I started perusing your blog a little more. I work in an elementary school too. I adore our lunch ladies. I think along with the custodians and secretaries, they have the most thankless jobs and work the hardest. So glad I found you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile