- 2013 (63)
- 2012 (189)
- 2011 (227)
- 2010 (222)
- 2009 (293)
- 2008 (218)
- 2007 (1)
Thursday, July 14, 2011
7:23 PM | | Edit Post
I am gonna let you in on a little secret. I am a slow reader. I have to be totally engrossed in a book (or trapped in the wilderness without an Internet connection) to finish it in a timely manner.
That being said, I truly enjoyed the book that was picked for our first ever book club. Look Again by Lisa Scottoline (who apparently has A LOT of books) was an easy summer read.
So if you are a slow reader like me, here are are few reasons why I think a book club like mine might help.
- Laughter. I laughed so hard and so often last night that my face hurt the next day. If you haven't had a GNO that left you with a hurting face from laughing lately you may want to start a book club.
- Small Snacks. Our host had a plethora of dipable snacks and a fondue pot filled with chocolate. I actually had a small smore, which was as delicious as it was cute.
- Adult conversation. Sometimes I feel like my day revolves around children fighting over who can get sprayed with sunscreen first, who sings better, and who gets to pick the Wii game. Last night we discussed topics that involved some thought, like whether or not single parents should adopt, if we, ourselves, have a go-to parent, and what we would do if we found out our child belong to someone else.
- Motivation. Nothing motivates me more than not-being-last. I don't like to be the last to cross the finish line, I don't like to be the last to try a new dish, and I certainly don't want to be the only person who doesn't finish the book. Nothing like a little peer pressure to motivate ya.
- Something to Toast. It's no secret that I need little reason to raise a glass in a toast to friends. Book Club is the perfect opportnity for that.
- I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.