My Fan Club

Friday, May 6, 2011

Lessons from the Lunchlady: Things aren't always peachy

Even though I only worked four days this week, the week, again, felt very lengthy.  In fact the only thing that kept me going all week was the fact that my beach weekend with my girlfriends was only a few short days away.

Here's what I learned.


  • Peaches piss me off.  My co-worker was scooping peaches into cups and I told her I was going to punch her for some reason (I tell her that a lot, but that's another blog post) and she decided to defend herself by WIPING PEACHES ONTO MY FACE.  I am letting her wonder if I am mad at her or not.
  • PBJ doesn't make a good Popsicle.  All day Thursday I kept saying "We're forgetting to do something" but we couldn't figure out what we were forgetting until the first wave of lunch came in we had no PBJ to serve.  The uncrustables were all still frozen.  UGH.  We had to quickly put them in the warmer and that didn't really help.
  • Ice Cold Milk.  Is good...unless it's a slushy and you just dumped it onto your cereal.
  • MEAT?  We served tacos this week and the kids all got a 2 oz cup of meat and a 2 oz cup of cheese.  A kindergartner said, "Is this some kind of meat?" while starting at the one cup.  It was hard for me to answer "yes".
  • Feeling Appreciated.  One of the teachers at PTO this week said she wasn't feeling very appreciated so during our Taste It Tuesday breakfast when nearly the entire school was there I told all the kids that I would give them a sticker at lunch if they hugged their teacher and told them that they appreciated all they do.  
Kids will do anything for a sticker....except clean their rooms.

What did you learn this week?

6 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

awwww that last one made me smile...u r way to sweet :)

Amanda said...

Kids will do anything for a sticker....except clean their rooms.

So true!

About the meat...my son will be eating lunch at the cafeteria next year. Honestly, I dread it already.

Kristie Maynard said...

What did I learn this week?
Well, I learned that my daughter makes surprisingly good brussel sprouts.
My son can be funnier than heck when telling a story. I already knew this, but was reminded of it when he was telling me about the evening with friends.
The older I get the less patience I have for some things and for other things I am getting more patience. How is that????
and that the new rolls of ATG tape don't fit into one of my ATG tape guns and my favorite craft store doesn't carry them. Guess I'll have to give in and go to one of the others.

Jenners said...

Stickers will solve most problems I've found.

Cap'n Salty said...

Hey, I like frozen uncrustables!

septembermom said...

That was a sweet idea with the stickers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile