My Fan Club

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Why I have a love/hate relationship with Parent Teacher Conferences


image from Off the Mark


This week our school district is having parent-teacher conferences.  I have a serious love/hate relationship with these little pow wows. 

Things I love about them:

  • I get to meet with my kids teachers and I can judge for myself if my kids perceptions of them are accurate.  I know you will be shocked to learn that often these perceptions are quite askew, but what do you expect from a 7, 9 and 11 year old?
  • I get to see their desk.  Usually, I can pick Oldest G's desk out before anyone indicates which one it is.  Her organizational skills are questionable and usually a topic of discussion.
  • I get to hear at least one, if not a handful, of great things about them.
  • I get to ask difficult questions that I really don't need to know the answers too.  For example:  How do you inform students about the academic standards they're expected to meet? What kind of projects and assignments have you planned that will help my child meet higher academic standards?
Of course, what goes around comes around and I get to endure the following

  • Their teachers get to meet me usually after I've worked all day in the cafeteria.  I'm often wearing my uniform and sometimes I forget to remove my hairnet.  This, I'm sure, creates an endearing impression.
  • They get to see how organized I am and begin to realize that no matter how many times they check "keep desk neat" and "use time wisely" on the report card the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
  • I get to hear at least a handful of things my children "could work on".  These items usually include maintaining self-control, turning in assignments on time, reading, and not randomly weeping.
  • Teachers get to ask me questions that they most likely do not need to know the answers too like What skills would you like to see your child master academically this year?  ummm...how about the the ones you are teaching....

Is it wrong to say tie his shoes?  I'm having a real hard time with that one. 

How about read at grade level for my fourth grader? 

See my 6th grader's handwriting improve to the point of legibility?

 Ugh, I love/hate parent teacher conferences.

6 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I always hated them, but I was a HAND full to say the least...lol

Anonymous said...

Parent teacher conferences....OH my the memories...the memories...

Gina said...

Oldest G sounds just like me. My mom could always pick out my desk too. I hope L takes after his daddy, organizationally at least.

Unknown said...

Having sat on a school board, I'll add that the #1 desire I heard from teachers was that parents would come and talk to them. The truism was that the parents they didn't need to see attended parent teacher meetings and called about notes sent home but that the ones they desperately needed to see never showed up no matter what.

So I suspect your kids teachers all thank you for caring and attending, no matter how hard your questions.

And the hair net probably makes no difference. {*grin*}

septembermom said...

I have one tomorrow. Wish me luck. I never know how it's going to go. Either they will have a bunch of questions or I'll talk too much. I guess we get something accomplished :) LOL

Jenners said...

Love the cartoon.

And I just went to my first parent-teacher conference and found out my kid is fantastic and she loves him. I felt so proud ... and then she said I was doing a good job as a parent and I felt validated in a way I hadn't been before. I loved it!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile