My Fan Club

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

To my daughter at the start of 4th grade


Dear Middle G.,

How can you be starting 4th grade? Wasn't I just dragging your brother out of the car to pick you up at preschool? Didn't you just tell me how much you loved kindergarten?

When did you become so independent? Why do we never agree about anything any more? Why do you always have to be right? How did you become so stubborn?

What happened to the little girl that held my hand and said, "I don't want to leave you mommy. It's not fair. You're gonna have fun without me"

Now you are off to intermediate school, where you will be the youngest in the building. A place where you won't find mommy in the lunch room. You'll be on your own. You will ride a different bus than the one that has been taking you to school for the last four years.

You will be surrounded by 5th and 6th graders, one of them your sister. Those silly songs played on the other bus will be replaced by ipods and an occasional swear word. You will change and grow even more this year than you did last year. I'm not ready for that. But trying to keep you little is like trying to catch the wind. Soon it blows right past you, only staying for a minute.

I'm excited for you to take on this new adventure, but part of me is sad.

Sad that I can't be there, if no one wants to sit with you at lunch.

Sad that I can't help you figure out what to do in that huge cafeteria.

Sad that you will have much fun without me.

I'm excited that you will likely make new friends this year and will cross my fingers that they will treat you the way you deserve to be treated because over the next few years you will value their opinion more than you value mine.

As I look at you, I can't help but remember the baby who looked at me such adoration and awe. The baby that never slept and didn't have much hair until she was two years old. Where did she go?

Do you know how much I love you? Good luck in 4th grade.

I'll be here when you get home.

Mom (formerly known as mommy)

6 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Hugs. Just think before you know it she will tell you how amazing of a mom she has. See they have to get older to understand that.

Anonymous said...

There ya go tugging on my heart strings :)

hugs

Steven Anthony
Man Dish~Metro Style

septembermom said...

Next year, my second son starts middle school. I'm a wreck thinking about it already!

I'm sure you'll daughter will have tons of fun and stories for you.

Unknown said...

UGH! That Mommy-to-Mom transition is TOUGH!

Ron Cooper said...

Following you from Welcome Wednesday blog hop. Please follow me back on my new Facebook fan page or blog:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inspire/338562522284?ref=ts

http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

Jenners said...

Awww...so sweet. And you're Mom to her now, huh? That is a big deal.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile