My Fan Club

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

LOST: Dr. Linus


This episode opens in Dr. Linus' history class and we quickly learn that in these flashes Big bad Ben is a pansy and a bit of a pushover.

Off the island:  Ben is in charge of a history club (aka WTF?) and detention.  Often at conflict since no one from history club is ever in detention he can't do both. 

Wheelchair bound Locke who is still substituting there says if you want things to change do something about it.  "Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something."

Ben starts taking Locke seriously.

We also learn that his father is still alive, in ill health and thinks things would have been better if they joined the DHARMA initiative.  But alas, they wouldn't because in this world Ben is a pushover history teacher who can't stand up for himself and in DHARMA land he would have been a cold hearted leader of the pack of other others who killed his own father.

Instead he is fixing his oxygen level.  My brain hurts...does yours.

Just when we thought we could possibly be surprised Alex comes to the door and is sort of crushing on Ben and saying "OMG, like why weren't you at history club."

Personally, I think I threw up in my mouth a little.



Ben apologizes to his seudo daughter who in both worlds he obviously cares about and says he'll give her a private tutoring lesson tomorrow.  I'm hoping that just mean what it means and that I'm not really gonna have to throw up for real.

In the library, Alex reveals that the principal is having sex with the nurse and says that Ben should not reveal this to anyone.  Next scene he is revealing it.  Shocking I know.

He blackmails the principal for his job and that is when Dr. Linus learns that some people do not back down easily. 

Unlike on the island, when he watch Alex die for his own gain,  Sideways Ben is much more likable.  He trades detention duty and the illustrious position of principal for a raving letter of recommendation for dear Alex. 

Her future secured.

Back on the island Miles is quickly becoming my favorite character.


After he, Sun, Ilana, LePenis and Ben bust through the temple wall he gets all voodoo with Jacobs ashes and tells Ilana that "Linus killed him"

And Ben's all like "That's Dr. Linus."

Ilana is pissed and tells Ben that Jacob was like a father to her and that she will now have to avenge his death.

Because there are no other new sets this week, they head back to the beach.

She tethers him to a tree and says "Dig you own grave."

Meanwhile Hurley is trying to convince Jack that they should spend more time in the woods and not heading towards the temple when suddenly Richard is there.

Hurley wants to know why he doesn't ever age.

Richard calls it a gift and women all over the world question their eyeliner.



Richard says "Follow me" and takes them to the old black pirate ship with all the dynamite in it from Season one and that's where we see the chains and we remember how Flocke said, "Good to see you out of those chains, Richard".

I don't know about you but I felt like saying "arrrgh" and "matey" a lot after that.  A pirate who wears eyeliner??

Richard is sad and feels like his life has no purpose and he wants Jack to kill him and Jack says okay.  Richard says he can't kill himself...another gift from Jacob.

But it turns out that Jack apparently can't die at his own hand either because even though he lit the dynamite the fuse went out just short of detonation.  He wants to talk and we wants answers but he doesn't think well unless he's at the beach.

Back at the beach, Ben is busy digging his grave, Miles tells him that Jacob did care and hoped he was wrong about Ben up until the minute he plunged the knife into his chest.  After Miles leaves, Flocke turns up near Ben and says "Come to the dark side."  Ben makes a run for it but Ilana gives chase.  They have a stand off in the woods.

Ben wants her to know why he did what he did.  He felt his life had no purpose...didn't we just hear this speech?  He felt manipulated.  He felt used.  He tells her about Alex and how he let Keamy kill her and how he has never been able to forgive himself for choosing the island over his own daughter.

He tells her that he is going to be with Flocke because Flocke is the only one who will have him.

Ilana says "I will have you."  She turns and lets Ben choose.  I thought he would head to the dark side but alas he returns to the beach just in time for the Here-comes-Hurley-Jack-and-Richard reunion.  Hugs and awkward stares ensure and no one notices the creepy submarine off shore.

Who is on board?  Charles Widmore.

Blurring the lines once again between good and evil.

I love this show!

6 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

I may be the only one to admit it but Ive always loved the evil doc's character, the worse he was the better I liked him:) Am I the only one?

septembermom said...

I'm looking forward to these weekly posts! Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

While I was watching this episode I wasn't really getting into it but after reading everyone's recaps I'm liking it more and more ...

Tales of Whimsy said...

FAB recap! I squeeled when I saw Whitmore :)

Julia said...

Just came across your blog today. Your Lost recaps are awesome. I can't wait for next week. I have been a bit disappointed with this final season so far but last night's show was great. I started my Lost addiction in November and watched all the seasons on DVD one after the other so I had pretty much been watching Lost daily since this final season. I would look forward to the evenings when the kids were all in bed and I could continue the saga. My husband has not been watching with me and he would complain that I preferred Lost to him. Some nights I would be up until 2am because I just had to see what would happen next. Now I am slowly weaning myself off by having to wait a whole week between episodes. I can't believe there are only 9 episodes left. It will be the end of awesome TV........

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

omg you thought Alex was crushing on Linus? Ew ew ew that didn't even occur to me LOL. I think I remember her as just being kind of intense, so I didn't think anything was odd in their interaction... and I'm determined to keep thinking that HAHA. But yeah, I loved this episode too. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile