My Fan Club

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Take at Chance Challenge - August Book of the Month


**Warning** I plan on patting myself on the back a lot with this post. I have read more than 12 books so far this year! That is a record for me. Seriously. I always say that I'm going to read more but this year I have actually followed through. So I'm patting my back, clapping my hands and giving myself a standing ovation.

That being said, I'm continuing to work my way through the Take a Chance Challenge over at Jenners and for this month's challenge I decided to participate in "Phoning the Author". The random last name I picked out of the phone book was Werling, but when I searched my library catalog the prompt said, "Did you mean Werlin?"
I figured that was close enough. Hopefully Jenners will agree.
Werlin, as in Nancy Werlin, has quite a few novels, some of which are critically acclaimed. The one I chose, "Rules of Survival" was about an out of control mother told through the eyes of her 15 year old son.
The book was okay. Not fantastic and not terrible. I didn't care for the ending and I had trouble relating to the mother in the book.
I did like the way it was written, which was in the form of a letter from the oldest child to the youngest child so as she would not forget what the all survived.

What are you reading?

3 random thoughts:

septembermom said...

Interesting idea to write the story in that format. I'll have to check it out. Congrats on getting all those books done! I better get a move on with this challenge:)

Becca said...

I haven't read in ages but I have found it to be my favorite thing to while nursing Aubrey. I will have to check out that book sometime!

Jenners said...

And I'm patting you on the back too for reading more than ever before! woo hoo! Keep on going!!!

Sounds like a depressing book but I kind of like the premise. : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile