My Fan Club

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July Book Review: Take a Chance Challenge



I'm taking part in Jenners book challenge. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical of this one:

Go to a random word generator and generate a random word. Find a book with this word in the title. Read the book and write about it.


Imagine my dismay when the word generated for me was SLOPPY. Seriously. SLOPPY. My hopes for this book were crushed like a Danimals Crush Cup. My only hope was that when I put this word into the search engine at the library nothing, absolutely nothing, would come up.

This came up:
Okay...it doesn't look so bad, I thought, I'll give it a go.  I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.  In fact, it is the first book of a series of books and I am actually looking forward to finding out what happens to Jessica Darling.
When Jess's best friend Hope moves away she has to decide how she will handle high school without her.  Should she become a member of the "Clueless Crew"; should she date Scotty and make her mom happy.  Why is she drawn to the class bad boy, Marcus Flutie?  Will she ever escape the shadow of her perfect sister and her dead brother?  Can her father see her for who she really is and not just the star athlete he's always wanted her to be?
A pleasantly entertaining book.  I was able to related to the main character as well as the mother in the story.  Well worth the read.

5 random thoughts:

Heidenkind said...

Sloppy is a way worse word than mechanical, I'll give you that. But it looks like it turned up a great book! You're so lucky. :) That book does sound like it was a fun read.

Jenners said...

That is a pretty bad word but it ended up working out good for you!! So you are 2 for 2 ... I'm glad these chances you are taking are leading you to some good places!

septembermom said...

Great review! Glad that the book turned out good for you. Sounds like some interesting characters. I'm going to try the word generator challenge next. I wonder what it will come up with for me.

Anonymous said...

Sloppy? I would've panicked like there's no tomorrow, if that was my word! (I got sky, so...).

However, it worked out really well for you, and now I'm curious to read this as well.

Unknown said...

I would never have imagined there would be a book with the word "sloppy" in the title. Sounds pretty good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile