My Fan Club

Thursday, October 23, 2008

A debate about coolness

A strange thing happened to me the other night. I was leaving a school board meeting, my fourth in 7 days, with another random attendee (RA). I held the door for her and said, "Well that was short and sweet,"

Startled to be address (a native to my county no doubt), RA says, "Yeah, that wasn't too bad. Are you here for a class too?"

"No," I laughed, "I'm with the paper."

Change setting: Now I'm alone in the car.

So did RA think I was cool enough to be a college student? Mistook me for a high school student? Alright, I look young, but I don't think I look like I'm in high school. After all that was nearly 20 years ago for me. Surely I've aged....gracefully.

I've never been "in style" when it comes to hair or clothing, so maybe things have just retro'd themselves back into cool again. After all, I saw leg warmers were making a comeback.

Who am I kidding? "Old people" go to college too. RA probably mistook me for a non-traditional student. Isn't that the politically correct way of saying, "Oh sh** I lost my job and now I've got to go back to school student."

Anyway you look at it, one thing RA didn't say was, "So do you have a kid in the district?" which therefore will allow me to conclude in my rather delusional world that she didn't think I was old enough to be her mother.

Even though, I most likely am.

Where are my old leg warmers, anyway? Maybe I should break them out for my next meeting.

2 random thoughts:

Andy - Instafather said...

At one of my recent board meetings, I sat beside a row of three college girls, all their for their education class. At the end of the meeting, a board member welcomed all of the college students to the meeting. Including me. The guy with the reporter's notebook. And the years of stress on his face. Excellent.

I'd say, take the compliments where you can get them.

MaryNSC said...

U LOOK like a Yungun 2 me//:O)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile