My Fan Club

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Just Write Tuesday #9

The butterflies in the pit of my stomach were multiplying and starting to dance.
“I hate being nervous,” I said to my reflection as I adjusted the flower barrette holding up the side of my hair. One last look at my dress and I went to find my sister, Annie.
The church hallway lead to the bridal room and I found her there, looking perfect.
She had on the dark wine colored dress that we picked out. It was tapered at the shoulders and had an open back. The hem stopped just short of Annie’s calves. Seeing her in it reminded me of my nervous stomach.
“I think I’m going to be sick,” I said.
“Thanks a lot,” she replied.
“That’s not what I meant.”
“You look great.,” she said, “Are you ready?”
“I’m not really sure. I don’t think I’ve actually digested the idea yet. You?”
“Yeah, I’m ready. I’m not really nervous at all.”
“You’re never nervous,” I said, jealousy making me want to be more like her. “Have you seen Dad?”
“Yeah, I think he’s ecstatic. He’s as anxious as a child on his first day of school.”
“I’ve been worried about him lately. The last three years have been hard on him. We’re both so far away.”
“He’s a tough cookie. Nothing ever brings him down, besides, you worry too much.”
She waived me off and said, “I’m going to find Mason to take our picture. Stay here.”
The silence was deafening. Mary Jo was late. She better get here soon or she won’t have time to dress. What if she doesn’t show? We can’t start without her. Annie’s right, I worry too much. She’ll be here.
“Wow, Lynn, I’m blown away,” said Mason. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen you in a dress.” His shaggy chestnut hair covered part of his face and he opened his arms to embrace me. He’s the closest thing I’ve ever had to a brother. Annie and I lived three houses away from him our entire childhood. Just letting him hug me sent some of my butterflies packing.
“You’re not looking bad yourself,” I said.
“Annie has given me strict orders to capture this moment on film so get together and smile pretty.” Time passed in flashes instead of minutes.
“Is Mary Jo here?” I asked.
“Yeah,” said Mason, “Mom’s been hiding so you and Annie wouldn’t see her. She ready to go; waiting for the cue.”
“It’s time,” says a stranger and we file out.
I’m walking down the aisle following my sister. Her dress bristling in the silence. All eyes are on us. Smiles. Whispers.
My butterflies are back, doing the same jig as before when I see him. Our dad, looking strikingly handsome in his tuxedo, is smiling at us. Wow, he looks so young, so excited, so nervous. It’s been too long since I’ve seen him truly happy. He’s beaming.
The music begins, everyone stands at attention. The bride is on her way. Mary Jo appears in the doorway, Mason by her side. Today is the day he’ll give his mom to our dad, combining two families that have known each other for years into one.
The groom’s eyes catch and hold the bride’s and for the last time, all the butterflies are sent packing.

0 random thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile