My Fan Club

Thursday, January 24, 2013

A eulogy for my father in law

The news of your passing came like a swift kick in the gut.

You were just here last weekend. You were goofing around with the kids. You took your oldest grandchild to the bookstore.

I don't think she will ever enter a bookstore and not think of you.

I will miss many things about you, like how you always said, "and then you said."

I will miss the way you let my kids just climb all over you and how you would tease them that they were messing up your hair.

I will miss the way you always teased me about having stuff all over my kitchen island.

I have known you for more than half my life. We've shared weddings, graduations and, lately, far too many funerals.

We've shared birthday dinners and Christmases.

We've even shared an occasional dance... Although that was very occasional.

I will miss talking about conspiracy theories and football with you, even though I'm pretty sure I had the upper hand.

I will even miss the way you never wanted to make a decision about where to have dinner.

We are all trying to find comfort in knowing that one day our paths will cross again.

Until then...

6 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely written, Wendy. I lost my father-in-law a few months ago, too, so I understand your loss. Thinking about you as you & your family make this sad journey.
Cathy

Kristie Maynard said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My grandfather passed unexpectedly and it is such a shock when it happens. He had been down on the floor wrestling with my brothers the evening before, then he was gone.
May memories of happy times wind their way into your heart and give you peace.

Scattered Scrapper said...

My prayers are with you and your family. I am so sorry for your loss!

Jenners said...

Oh I am so so sorry for your loss! It must be a real shock considering he was just visiting with you and active and doing stuff. It sounds like you had a great relationship with him and he sounds like a lot of fun. Hugs to you my friend.

Pat said...

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man and grandfather. He will be missed.

Wendy said...

:( so sorry for your loss Wendy. May you find comfort in the memories you shared.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile