My Fan Club

Thursday, August 23, 2012

A story about a purple bee sting

Two week's ago, my daughter got stung by a bee at the pool. The lifeguard gave her some bee sting spray and a bag of ice and sent her on her way.

Twenty four hours later, her foot looked like this.


I called the doctor and spoke to a nurse. She said that swelling was a "common" reaction and that if it didn't go down within a week's time or it swelled up beyond her ankle to call back.

She also said to watch for streaking coming from the area.

The swelling went down, but middle G continued to complain about the itching. She went to the beach with a friend over the weekend. She had a fabulous time.


When she came home, I asked, "How was your foot."

"It's still itchy. Oh and every now and then it turns dark purple."

She is eleven and prone to exaggeration, but sure enough. The foot has been dark, dark purple a couple times this week.


You can't really tell in this photo, but her toes are quite purple and the skin on the top of her foot blanches and feels sort of clammy to the touch.

I called the doctor. Spoke to a different nurse.

He didn't know what could be the cause. Asked me if I was sure she hadn't bruised it. Asked if she had a fever. I'm sure and she doesn't.

They wanted me to come in at 9 p.m. tonight and I said... "yeah, um...how about tomorrow."

8:30 a.m. And you know that foot won't be purple.

Anyone have a similar story?

4 random thoughts:

Monkey said...

I've never heard of that b4...but tell her that her pedicure is so cute :)

Kristie Maynard said...

Now that is really strange. Never seen that happen before. Be sure to take your camera with the pictures, just in case the color isn't there. Which of course it probably won't be. Good luck and let us know what it's all about.

Chrissy Z said...

No similar story, but let middle G know that I love her different colored toe nails! Hope your appointment goes well:)

Jenners said...

I've never heard of anything like this … but I hope you get it cleared up soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile