My Fan Club

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A letter to my sixth grader



Dear Oldest G,


As you start sixth grade, it is important to remember to find the positive and to not dwell on the negative.  Yes, you have a male teacher this year and you're not real sure about him.  But who knows, he may be the best teacher you've ever had.

Be nice to the fourth graders, you were the youngest in the building not too long ago.

Enjoy catching the bus at 8 a.m. this year because next year that will change to 7 a.m. and you will wish you were still in bed.

It is still hard for me to believe that you are already in sixth grade.  I remember how excited you were to start school and how animated you used to be when you returned home.  You would tell me story after story about what you did and what you were going to do.

You don't have much to say these days and I have to admit that I miss the excitment of days past.  It changed so quickly that I forgot to enjoy the last story.

Here you are at the start of your sixth grade year, half way to the finish line.  Half way, already.  It doesn't seem possible yet I know it is.

If the next six years go as fast as the first six, I'll be sitting at your commencement ceremony in two shakes of a dogs tail.

Here's hoping that I'll get to hear at least a few more stories before that happens.

I love you.


Mom (formerly known as mommy)


2 random thoughts:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful letter....

Steven Anthony
Man Dish~Metro Style
&
Life in the Fish Bowl

Jenners said...

I just loved this ... so touching and bittersweet. Don't worry .. she'll start talking again ... AFTER she has her own kids (which won't be for many many years).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile