My Fan Club

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ten Very Random Facts about Turkeys!



I don't know about you but it is hard for me to believe that I'm going to eat one of these guys in just two days.
Look at him, he's giving me the eye. Or maybe it's you he's looking at.
In preparation for my upcoming Griswald Family-like Thanksgiving, I decided to educate my children about the turkey. This way they will be able to throw out random facts during dinner as a way of distraction.
Of course, now that they are educated I'm convinced no one is going to eat any turkey. After all, "He's so cute" according to my 9 year old. (Pray that my future son-in-law is less bird-like)
Now for the list of random facts you probably never wanted to know, but once you read will likely never forget. At least you can say you weren't warned.
1) The costume that "Big Bird" wears on Sesame Street is rumored to be made of turkey feathers. Makes sense to me.
2) Ben Franklin actually wanted to make the turkey our national bird. Picture old "One Eye" on all of our coins.
3) Turkeys can run up to 25 miles per hour! I'm surprised more don't get away.
4) In 2007 the average American ate 17.5 pounds of turkey. I mean damn...what do they consider average!
5) Commercially raised turkeys cannot fly. However, wild turkeys can fly for short distances up to 55 miles per hour. Again, its surprising more don't get away.
6) The heaviest turkey ever raised was 86 pounds; his name was Rover and his family treated him like he was the pet dog. I'm not really sure about that, but 86 pounds What. Were. They. Feeding. Him???
7. The male turkey is called the Tom and the female turkey is called the Hen. Female turkeys can occasionally have beards similar to their male counterparts. Now I'm picturing a bunch of Hens at the salon getting waxed. Can you say adult ADHD??
8. 45 million turkeys are eaten on Thanksgiving.
9. In England, 200 years ago, turkeys were walked to market in herds. They wore booties to protect their feet. Turkeys were also walked to market in the United States. Makes me want to recite "To Market"
To market, to market to buy a fat pig;
Home again, home again, jiggety-jig.
To market, to market, to buy a fat hog;
Home again, home again, jiggety-jog.
10. Since 1947, the President of the United States has been given the gargantuan task of pardoning just one bird. I don't know about you guys, but I'm rooting for old One Eye.

2 random thoughts:

MaryNSC said...

I use to raise them..:O(
I am having HOME MADE SOUP!!!!:O(
LOLOLOLOL

Enfys said...

They are such ugly birds aren't they, and the funny think is that we all eat them, you in the USA at Thanksgiving, and us in the UK on Christmas day, but almost everyone you talk to says they don't really like turkey........but everyone adores cold turkey sandwiches, now why would that be I wonder?
hugs
Enfys

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile