My Fan Club

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Just Write Tuesday #19

Dear Big G,

How can you be starting 4th grade? Didn't I just take you to preschool yesterday? When did you turn into a "tween"? Why are we always at odds? What happened to the little girl that held my hand and said, "I'm sure going to miss you, mommy. Don't have any fun without me."

Now you are off to intermediate school. You'll truly be on your own. You will ride a different bus than the one that takes your sister to elementary school. You will be the youngest, surrounded by 5th and 6th graders.

Those quirky songs played on the other bus will be replaced by ipods and swear words. You will change even more this year and I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

But trying to keep you little is like holding onto sand. Soon it runs through your fingers and tries to catch onto the wind.

I'm excited for you to take on this new adventure, but part of me is sad.

Sad that I can't be there, if no one wants to sit with you.

Sad that I can't help you figure out what to do in that huge cafeteria.

Sad that you will have much fun without me.

I'm excited that you will likely make new friends this year and will cross my fingers that they will treat you the way you deserve to be treated because over the next few years you will value their opinion more than you value mine.

As I look at you, I can't help but remember the baby who looked at me with big bright eyes and prefered no one but me.

Where did she go?

Do you know how much I love you?

Good luck in 4th grade. I'll be here when you get home.


Mom (formerly known as mommy)

2 random thoughts:

Unknown said...

Oh my God you suck!!! I am about crying over here!!!

Rachel said...

Wen, are you trying to make me cry. Man I remember them so little. Time does fly. I love coming to your page and catching up on you and seeing pics. You have done such a nice blog page. Love it. I miss staying home=( I wish I could do these things. Be so ever thankful for these days cuz I sure miss them! Love ya! Rach

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile