My Fan Club

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (part 2) - a review

I, like many others, ventured out late Thursday night to watch a midnight showing of the Harry Potter finally.

I went with two of my friends and took my 12 year old daughter, as well.  My daughter started counting down the hours as soon as she woke up.

She spoke of nothing else the entire day.

She was wired from about 6:30 in the morning until the previews finally started rolling at 12:06 a.m.

Amazingly, we ran into a boy from her class (whom she may have a crush on) and his mom and they were able to join us and we moved the overly talkative tweens to the seats in front of us.


I shared with you my thoughts on the first movie so I thought I would do the same for the series finally.


If you haven't seen the movie or you are one of 20 people who hasn't read the book, stop now.  Spoiler alert.


This movie is much better than the one before.  Part 1 is exceptionally slow and I was glad that Part 2 didn't follow in it's footsteps or I'm not sure I would have made it until the 2:30 ending.

HP7 part 2 opens just where part 1 ended.  Harry is burying Dobby and Voldemort is securing the Elder Wand.  Action is just around the corner as Harry begs the goblin, Griphook, to help the famous trio break into Gringotts.

One of the best parts is watching Helena Bonham Carter portray Belletrix as Hermione.  Fantastic acting and exceptionally believable.

The special effects were flawless, as I truly believed that the trio was riding a blind dragon to safety after securing yet another horocrux from the LeStrange vault.  It becomes quite obvious that Harry must sacrifice himself in order to truly eliminate Voldemort.

The final scene featuring Snape was excellently portrayed by Alan Rickman.  However, I was disappointed that the screenwriters felt it necessary to imply that he could have fathered Harry Potter.  I heard many people, including my friend, articulating this at the movies end. 

This was never even hinted at in the book.

The final battle was reminiscent of the Lord of the Rings and the Pirates of the Caribbean combined.  It had moments that made you chuckle, moments that made you cry, moments that made you applaud.

When Harry finds himself in the train station with Dumbledore my favorite line of the movie was spoken.

Dumbledore:  "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

Of course, when Molly Weasley finally kills Bellatrix by denouncing her attempt to kill Ginny with a out of character shout, "Not my daughter, Bitch."  I couldn't help but cheer.

Having already shared with you the seven things I learned from Harry Potter, I guess I will close this by saying that I hope some day J.K. Rowling takes the other stories playing out in her head, those of the newest wizards, and writes them down for all of us to share.

Because the adventures of a little wizard girl named Lily, with parents as sweet as Harry and Ginny, could be just as unforgettable as those of her parents.

8 random thoughts:

septembermom said...

My 14 year old son came home from the movie and kept repeating, "Epic! Epic! Epic!" I guess he liked it :)

Sounds like it's great.

Anonymous said...

great review....i need to see this

MyCuriousCrafts said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment...I really apprecaite it. Now, you're blog is awesome...love it. My oldest son and I are huge Harry Potter fans, your posts is hilarious. I couldn't locate your follow button but I will put you on my list because I absolutely must follow. ~Shen

Gina said...

Now I want to see it.

I love that line from Dumbledore!!

KatBouska said...

I'm one of the 20 who haven't read the book.

Don't slap me.

I just cannot see the draw in this kid. AND the first chapter of the first book was just way too confusing for me to follow.

I have problems.

Kristie Maynard said...

I have seen this Harry movie twice now and I totally loved it! I loved that part with Molly too. It was one of my favorite lines.
I didn't catch the part you are talking about Snape fathering Harry, I'll have to discuss this with my HP fan friends and see what they think. Guess I'll have to go see it again so I can check that out. LOL.
I, too, wish there would be more books. I would read them for sure. My kids are 21 and almost 19 and I'm sure they would love them too.

Aimee said...

I LOVED it too! Helena Bonham Carter's part at the beginning was one of my favorites as well. It made me so sad to see the series end! Now I want to rewatch all eight movies! I missed the reference to Snape being Harry's dad...maybe because I read the books and knew it wasn't mentioned there so it never crossed my mind.

Keep up your awesome blog entries - I always enjoy them and get a little excited when I see that you've posted something new. :-)

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Helena Bonham Carter and the Molly Weasley line were two of my favorite parts tooooooo! Ok, what on earth implied that Snape might have been Harry's dad? Totally missed it... clue me in!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile